Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Combed Chocolate Buttercream Birthday Cake

I had to make a fabulous cake for a fabulous girl. 



My dear friend Janice celebrated her 30th this weekend.  I must give her props for her great attitude about turning thirty-maybe it's because she has been so busy, and life has been pretty sweet lately- but this girl was not sweating thirty AT ALL. 

Janice had really enjoyed the chocolate icing that I used for my daughters birthday cake.  I wanted the cake to look grown-up because it would be served in a nice restaurant (you know, no wait staff singing happy birthday).  I wanted it to look delicious.  I wanted it to have a little somethun'.....that I couldn't quite put my finger on.....

So I kept it simple and delicious, with a batch of dark chocolate buttercream whipped extra to keep it a little lighter than the original.  I iced the cake smooth all over and combed the edges.  Then I was ready to write my message on the top:  "30 & Fabulous"....except I couldn't decide what color to make the writing.  Darker brown?  Black?  White?  Then it came to me:  gold. Shimmering gold. That was definitely the somethun' I was looking for.  I cut the message out of white fondant and painted the gold shimmer onto each piece.  I had 1" cutters for the letters, but had to create my own freehand design for the "30 &"

Since I was so excited about this cake and the busy day surrounding it's presentation, I completely forgot to take a decent picture of it.  Seriously.  All I have are some mobile phone snapshots taken that night at dinner. 



 Happy Birthday Janice, and thanks for a GREAT day and being such a great friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment