Saturday, April 27, 2013

Thomas & Friends Train Cake






It was so fun to make this train cake for my friend Dawn, who's littlest turned three last week.  Dawn told me he had been asking for a train cake LONG before his Birthday came along, so we wanted to come up with something special!  We found this fun style browsing train cakes online.  Dawn brought some little toy trains for me to use, and I was able to pipe a tunnel and tracks to match the size of the toys. 

I really enjoyed making this cake, and it was quite a bit more difficult to assemble and frost than I thought it would be. 

I used a bag of chocolate rock candy for the bottom border, tunnel and small accents. This cake is 9" in diameter. It has a single layer on the bottom, then the top layer was cut in half and stacked on top of each other. Because of the weight of the top two tiers, I recommend inserting dowels in the base to support the weight. If you will be transporting this cake, it would be wise to also do a single dowel through all three layers to keep it a little more stable.

No comments:

Post a Comment