Friday, May 17, 2013

I mustache you to eat a cupcake.

For my MOPS group end of the year gathering, we decided to give our night a mustache theme since the husbands were invited.  I made these platters of fun cupcakes to go along with the theme!


The big centerpiece mustache is a 6" round cake cut into 2 halves -ying yang shaped- and then arranged to look like a 'stache.  I frosted it in vanilla and then covered in chocolate jimmies.  

It is surrounded by chocolate pound cake cupcakes with vanilla buttercream swirls.

The top tray is a new creation of mine, a twinkie-flavored vanilla pound cake with a whipped vanilla topping.    I used decorated with chocolate fondant mustache cutouts.

5 comments:

  1. Very fun and cute!
    I have to ask you if you are from the east coast, Janet, since you called the sprinkles "jimmies". I grew up in NJ and we called them that, but it seems like everywhere else in the country, they call them sprinkles. So funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in Iowa and I'm pretty sure we called them sprinkles there, too. I think just recently when I buy ingredients in bulk and read things written by experts, they call them jimmies so I am trying to use that word because sprinkles is a broad term but jimmies are an actual specific type of sprinkle! But I didn't know it's an east coast thing, that's interesting )

      Delete
  2. So cute and what a good idea! I would love to taste your new creation-twinkie flavored pound cake and whipped topping--yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered it by accident! I was just playing around with ingredients to make vanilla pound cake, and then tried one the next day and realized they tasted just like twinkies!

      Delete