Saturday, March 2, 2013

Minnie Mouse Birthday Cake

What a fun cake this was!  A pink Minnie Mouse themed birthday party calls for lots of mouse ears and bows!  This is a 12" diameter 2-layer chocolate cake.  Iced with vanilla buttercream and decorated with buttercream and fondant.  I made the bow and ears with a 50/50 gumpaste/fondant blend.  I "accidentally" learned a new technique in the process- putting the blend in the oven at 200 degrees with the door propped open creates a billowing/pillow like effect - perfect for the puffy bow...not so much for the slick, black ears.   My friend Mindy and her family loved this cake, and it tasted great, so I am so happy I was able to make Miss Olivia's birthday a little more special.



I have to say that seeing all the cake plates scraped clean was the best compliment I got today! 


2 comments: