Friday, March 8, 2013

Blue's Clues Birthday Cake

My own sweet Lily turned four today!  I have been absolutely delighted with this little person God has given me, and since everyday as her mom gets better and better I can only imagine how wonderful this year will be!
Lily had made up her mind in January that she wanted a Blue's Clues birthday cake.  I was pretty excited about the idea, because it's a great show and it's full of inspiration for a great cake design.  Most importantly, Lily has been my faithful assistant through most of my cake projects, so it was time to make a REALLY cool cake just for her!


By assistant, I mean "Batter Removal Technician"


She was also having a big birthday party, so we needed a lot of cake.  Two tiers was the way to go!

 
 
I didn't want to make little figurines out of gum paste or other edible-type sculptures-- it's really not my thing, and I don't think I would enjoy that type of cake work very much.  Plus, Blue's Clues is very 2-dimensional in it's illustrations, so I felt like even trying to attempt little sculptures would be taking some liberty with the characters.  So I free-handed a Blue dog out of fondant to put on top of the cake:

I surprised myself, because I'm not much of an artist as far as drawing goes...but I can honestly say that the dog really does look just like Blue!

I also added spots on the sides of the cake in fondant, and cut out 2" high letters to put her name on the front.

I am so happy with the way this cake turned out!  It was bright, cheerful & fun...just like my Lily. 

1 comment:

  1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTSUSbleUdw https://www.chick.com/products/tract?stk=0007

    ReplyDelete